With my recent (formal) diagnosis of IBS there has been a learning curve in our house. Mostly for me.
Pat is pretty well aware of what foods do and do not bother him. I’m still working things out, and I’ve just opted to leave certain things alone for the time being. I feel really good, so I’m not complaining.
With that being said I’m working on new meals into our rotation. I used to use beans heavily in our meals as a source of fiber and complex carbohydrates. Beans aren’t something I can tolerate, (which looking back, explains why I felt like crap SO often when I thought I was eating SO healthily).
You can totally make the below recipe without meat, and with beans too if you’re not a meat eater, or you just love beans (I get that). I served these with guacamole and grain free tortillas – or made them into bowls with some riced cauliflower. I also ate this a few days for breakfast with an egg on top (because if you put an egg on it, it becomes breakfast).
You also do not need beer to make this, but I chose one of my favorite flavorful beers to do this. You could also use a bit of cider (I bet that would be really good actually), or a mix of broth, and lime juice.
Beer Braised Fajitas
You can make this into bowls, or serve with tortillas, this is a great “one pot” meal
- 4-5 bell peppers (variety of colors), sliced
- 1 tbsp oil (I used avocado)
- 8 oz beer
- 2 lbs flank steak, cut into strips
- 1 lime/juice from lime
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Set pressure cooker to “sauté”, add oil, and add peppers, cook peppers until they are softened
- Turn off sauté function, and add, beer, lime juice, steak, and seasonings
- Turn on pressure to high for 20 minutes, and place your lid on
- Walk around your house like a domestic goddess because you’re doing all of this in one pot, and you won’t have as many dishes to do, and drink the remaining beer you did not use in the recipe
- When finished, use a slotted spoon to transfer your beef & peppers into a bowl. Transfer some of the liquid into the bowl too, so that your leftovers can bathe in it in the refrigerator
Ok, so a few things – I make this without onions and garlic – to make it low FODMAP – you can totally add those things, to enhance the flavor. Also, when I was in my elimination phase, I used lime juice and beef bone broth, once I knew wheat was not an issue for me – I used the beer.
I have used two different types of beer, and liked both – I used Short’s Melt my Brain which has a really unique flavor of juniper berries, and coriander. I’ve also used Grand Armory Wheezin’ The Juice – which is a juicy IPA. Both beers are from Michigan, I added above that if you are Gluten Free you probably could use cider, and I bet it would be delicious too.
Oh, and obviously I served this each time with homemade guacamole.
This is honestly a fantastic recipe for weekly meal prep for several reasons: 1) it is easy, 2) it is versatile – you can switch it up with chicken, or different cuts of steak 3) you can do other things/prep while this is going
If you cannot find flank steak or it is too expensive you can do skirt steak, hanger steak, or even a round steak – since you’re cutting it. You can also do chicken thighs too!